Sunday, October 21, 2012

Expanding Talents. . .

Or valiantly trying to find some.  Staying at home has given me lots of free time to try and discover my long hidden talents.  I feel all the blame really lands on Pinterest.  I'm sure if Josh could have a dollar for every time I said, "So I pinned something today I really want to try."  he could probably retire next year. 

My first grand adventure was learning to crochet.  Let's just say when you make a hat for your six month old and it fits you, crocheting might now be your thing.  I did work on it more and got it to where I could make him a hat that fit.  He didn't really like it though.  But I kind of lost my enthusiasm and started thinking of the next big thing I could try. 

No idea how to rotate the picture

Then I got the crazy idea to run a half marathon.  I did follow through with this one and it was actually something very rewarding. I'm pretty sure I'll do one again someday.  Sadly, my running has really slacked off since the race.

In August, after frustration from not being able to find a blanket for our bed (and too much time spent on Pinterest) I decided I could make a quilt.  This comes from a girl who has only used a sewing machine about 5 times and the only thing produced was three pillows in the shape of my initials, and that was in 7th grade.  Although I did have a little quilting experience if you count the six weeks I took a quilting class for my 6th grade exploratory class.  That was all hand sewing too, impressed? Yeah, I didn't think so.  So after weeks of cutting, piecing, banging my head on the table (when I really wanted to throw the sewing machine) I was able to produce something that resembled the top of a quilt.  I still have a border to sew but I'm close.

This isn't the the finished product but close to it.


Now, one might think this was enough for one year.  Alas, I just keep going.  We recently switched wards at church and found out there was a painting class every Thursday night.  So I thought, I can learn how to paint, bought supplies and showed up this last Thursday for the first class.  I won't post the picture just yet because our first piece isn't done but I did learn how to paint pine trees.  And lets be honest, all I could think about was Bob Ross saying "Happy Trees."  Although he would probably change his opinion about "no mistakes just happy accidents" if he were ever to see my painting.  Too bad he isn't around anymore.

Anyway, this post is ridiculously long and I'm sure you're all sad because what you really wanted to see was Harrison.  So for all of you who stuck with me to the end here is your reward.


Took a break from a diaper change to squeeze in a gallop.
 
Tried some pudding painting.
  
When I say tried, really means ate some pudding paint.


1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about pinterest! It keeps launching my want to do projects! I love your quilt! It's beautiful. Coming from a fellow quilt maker, I know how long that must have taken you. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete